The Humane Education Graduate Certificate provides a focused program of study in humane education as it relates to academic curriculum and educational culture. Educators will learn to strengthen humane pedagogy and integrate concepts of compassion into their instruction by utilizing innovative research and best practices while actively addressing barriers to student achievement and confidence. Courses foster teacher growth through exploration of humane concepts as well as general education principles of theory and practice that enhance teaching.
Students who complete the graduate certificate in humane education will be able to:
- Define, interpret, and evaluate components of educational materials and techniques and describe implications for humane education in curriculum and academics
- Provide rigorous offerings aligned with current educational mandates, best practices, and the standards-based curriculum
- Demonstrate leadership skills necessary to support humane education professional practices in the greater educational context, the ability to navigate, respond to, and influence the larger educational policy environment and the political, philosophical, social, economic, legal, and cultural contexts of education
- Utilize and understand research as well as produce research for the humane education field and student, school/district, or societal improvement
- Extend cultural proficiency and promotion of educational equity and culturally sensitive policies and practices, recognizing and valuing differences in the student and civic population that improve learning and achievement