Animal First Aid for Disaster Responders
This two-day workshop provides classroom and hands-on instruction on first aid techniques which disaster responders can apply until more advanced veterinary help can be found.
Participants learn how to identify and treat common disaster-related injuries, illnesses, and conditions; how to distinguish animals who need advanced care from those who need first aid, as well as those who pose a threat to other animals and to people; and what not to do in order to minimize harm to the animal.
By the end of the workshop participants will have a practical knowledge of:
- Animal first aid basics
- Situational awareness and safety
- Critical situations
- Restraint and carry techniques
- Internal and external bleeding
- Conditions and techniques for large animals
- Ophthalmic first aid
- Bandaging and wound care
- Animal first aid jump kits
Where: The location of onsite workshops will be determined by the host agency.
When: This is a two-day workshop held between the hours of:
8:30am to 5:00pm (Day 1) 8:30am to 5:00pm (Day 2) Check in begins at 8:00am (Day 1)
* Note: Participants will be given an hour for lunch
Registration & Fees
Cost Options: The Host Agency can choose from one of the three cost options, below. Rates are specific to each workshop topic and length of the workshop
- Hosting Agency Flat Rate/No Student Registration Fee: The Hosting Agency pays a flat rate to cover the cost of the workshop; individual students do not pay HSU. The cost of each workshop varies according to the requirements of each workshop and your location. For specifics, please inquire with email@example.com.
- Low Cost Student Registration Fee/Back-up Hosting Agency Matching: The student registration fee is set at a low rate determined by the hosting agency (i.e. $25). The hosting agency would match the difference between the low student rate and the normal registration fee. An invoice will be sent to the hosting agency following the completion of the class.
- Student Registration Fees only/No Hosting Flat Rate: HSU sets the registration fees based on our average class size of 35 students. Workshop fees vary in order to cover costs of instructor travel and materials. In general, our standard student rates are:
|Length of the Workshop||Individual Participant Fee||Host Agency Flat Fee|
Registration deadline is two weeks before the start date of the workshop.
Cancellation fee is 25% of the registration fee.
No refunds will be given after the two-week time period.
HSU reserves the right to cancel this workshop due to low enrollment or in the case of a major animal disaster response.
Recommendations for accommodations will be made by the host agency and will be posted on the specific webpage for each workshop.
All of our instructors are subject - matter experts with 10 or more years of experience in their field of instruction.
Workshop materials will be provided by HSU and sent to the host agency within 7-10 business days prior to the start of the workshop.