Emergency Animal Sheltering
Emergency Animal Sheltering (EAS) gives participants the tools necessary to plan and manage an emergency animal shelter in their community. In addition, it prepares participants to deploy with HSUS or other national organizations operating emergency shelters in the event of a large-scale disaster. The training includes two days of classroom instruction combined with tabletop exercises to give students an opportunity to practice new skills using practical and relevant scenarios.
This course gives participants classroom and practical information on planning, setting up and managing an emergency animal shelter. Covering all aspects from putting together a planning team to closing down the shelter, the workshop covers operational, planning, logistical, resource management and other elements of the emergency animal shelter operation.
By the end of the workshop participants will have a practical knowledge of:
- A basic introduction to disaster and emergency management
- Community planning for animals in disaster
- Types of emergency shelters for animals
- Meeting the animals’ needs
- Human resources
- Worker health and safety
- Administrative issues
- Legal issues
- Media/public relations
- Closing the shelter
Click here for the prerequisites for Emergency Animal Sheltering (EAS)
Where: The location of onsite workshops will be determined by the host agency.
When: This is a two-day workshop held between the hours of:
8:30am to 5:00pm (Day 1) 8:30am to 5:00pm (Day 2) Check in begins at 8:00am (Day 1)
* Note: Participants will be given an hour for lunch
Registration & Fees
Cost Options: The Host Agency can choose from one of the three cost options, below. Rates are specific to each workshop topic and length of the workshop
- Hosting Agency Flat Rate/No Student Registration Fee: The Hosting Agency pays a flat rate to cover the cost of the workshop; individual students do not pay HSU. The cost of each workshop varies according to the requirements of each workshop and your location. For specifics, please inquire with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Low Cost Student Registration Fee/Back-up Hosting Agency Matching: The student registration fee is set at a low rate determined by the hosting agency (i.e. $25). The hosting agency would match the difference between the low student rate and the normal registration fee. An invoice will be sent to the hosting agency following the completion of the class.
- Student Registration Fees only/No Hosting Flat Rate: HSU sets the registration fees based on our average class size of 35 students. Workshop fees vary in order to cover costs of instructor travel and materials. In general, our standard student rates are:
|Length of the Workshop||Individual Participant Fee||Host Agency Flat Fee|
Registration deadline is two weeks before the start date of the workshop.
Cancellation fee is 25% of the registration fee.
No refunds will be given after the two-week time period.
HSU reserves the right to cancel this workshop due to low enrollment or in the case of a major animal disaster response.
Recommendations for accommodations will be made by the host agency and will be posted on the specific webpage for each workshop.
All of our instructors are subject - matter experts with 10 or more years of experience in their field of instruction.
Workshop materials will be provided by HSU and sent to the host agency within 7-10 business days prior to the start of the workshop.