Illegal Animal Fighting
In recent years, we have seen an increase in animal fighting, both in urban settings and in rural areas. To combat this trend, Humane Society University provides this valuable training to law enforcement, criminal justice, and animal care professionals.
This workshop builds on basic knowledge of illegal animal fighting, to include undercover investigations, preparing a case for court, and the link to domestic violence. In this workshop, participants will learn about the history, motivations, and paraphernalia involved in illegal animal fighting as well as how to conduct interrogations and work with prosecutors and other agencies when illegal animal fighting is suspected.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the confidential nature of the material presented in the class, eligible attendees are law enforcement officers, prosecutors and judges, and animal control/humane investigators/veterinarians if employed or contracted with a government agency (Sheriff's Department, Police Department, Health Department., etc.)
The goal of this workshop is to enable investigators to recognize and build strong cases against illegal animal fighting, specifically dogfighting and cockfighting.
By the end of the workshop participants will have a practical knowledge of:
- History and overview of animal fighting
- Animal fighting paraphernalia
- Investigations, warrants, and evidence collection
- Knowing, interpreting, and applying the law
- Disposition of confiscated animals
- Internet investigation of animal fighting
- Recognizing street fighting
- Animal fighting’s connection to other felony crimes
Where: The location of onsite workshops will be determined by the host agency.
When: This is a one-day workshop held between the hours of:
8:30am to 5:00pm Check in begins at 8:00am
* Note: Participants will be given an hour for lunch
Registration & Fees
Cost Options: The Host Agency can choose from one of the three cost options, below. Rates are specific to each workshop topic and length of the workshop
- Hosting Agency Flat Rate/No Student Registration Fee: The Hosting Agency pays a flat rate to cover the cost of the workshop; individual students do not pay HSU. The cost of each workshop varies according to the requirements of each workshop and your location. For specifics, please inquire with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Low Cost Student Registration Fee/Back-up Hosting Agency Matching: The student registration fee is set at a low rate determined by the hosting agency (i.e. $25). The hosting agency would match the difference between the low student rate and the normal registration fee. An invoice will be sent to the hosting agency following the completion of the class.
- Student Registration Fees only/No Hosting Flat Rate: HSU sets the registration fees based on our average class size of 35 students. Workshop fees vary in order to cover costs of instructor travel and materials. In general, our standard student rates are:
|Length of the Workshop||Individual Participant Fee||Host Agency Flat Fee|
Registration deadline is two weeks before the start date of the workshop.
Cancellation fee is 25% of the registration fee.
No refunds will be given after the two-week time period.
HSU reserves the right to cancel this workshop due to low enrollment or in the case of a major animal disaster response.
Recommendations for accommodations will be made by the host agency and will be posted on the specific webpage for each workshop.
All of our instructors are subject - matter experts with 10 or more years of experience in their field of instruction.
Workshop materials will be provided by HSU and sent to the host agency within 7-10 business days prior to the start of the workshop.