Animal Care Worker
Essential Duties and Primary Job Purpose
Responsible for maintaining a safe and sanitary facility for animals and people and providing humane handling and care for all shelter animals. Assures all animals' nutrition, housing and basic medical needs are met on a daily basis. Assists the public when admitting and adopting animals and promotes responsible pet ownership in conversations with customers.
Representative Tasks & Major Responsibilities
- Responsible for all duties related to the care of shelter animals to include cleaning of holding areas, assuring that animals receive food and water, bathing and grooming, and providing humane handling when animals need to be moved.
- Observes and evaluates animals for signs of illness and reports symptoms to appropriate personnel. Performs basic laboratory tests and procedures and administers medications and euthanizes animals under supervisor of shelter veterinarian.
- Assists customers who are seeking lost pets and those interest in adopting. Responds to questions about specific animals and adoption process. Assists customers in completing applications and makes assessments of applicants' qualifications.
- Performs continual maintenance duties to include repairs and upkeep. Operates crematory. Cleans vehicles and equipment used in transporting animals. Assists with inventory and restocking supplies. Runs errands as necessary.
- Maintains accurate records. Accesses information related to animal case files, supply inventories, pharmaceutical use data and animal inventory.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required
- Skill in animal first aid and CPR, performing euthanasia, basic laboratory techniques and basic animal grooming techniques.
- Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses, diseases and injuries.
- Ability to identify animal species, breeds, ages and sexes.
- Demonstrated animal control knowledge, skills and abilities.