"Humane Literacy: Promoting Empathy, Critical Thinking and Language Skills in the Classroom"
For credentialed elementary school teachers • Earn 5 hours of CPE units
Self-paced course available October 17 to November 4 • $55 registration fee
This five-hour course will train participants to implement the RedRover Readers curriculum, designed to help children develop compassion and empathy while building their listening and critical thinking skills. At the conclusion of this course, teachers will be able to:
- Understand humane education and its connection to character education
- Use question strategies to elicit critical thinking and promote empathy
- Expand students’ comments to facilitate discussions
- Demonstrate genuine interest in student responses and model effective listening skills
- Recognize stories as useful tools in developing moral judgment and empathy for others.
- Begin to familiarize themselves with students’ emotional reactions and attitudes about animals
- Access online Humane Education Ambassador Reader curriculum materials
For registration instructions, email RedRover EducationManager Karly Gould at email@example.com
Learn more at: www.redrover.org/readers
Or click here
About the RedRover Readers program:
- Designed by experienced educators and delivered by trained teachers and volunteers
- Designed for children in grades three and four
- Aligns with curriculum standards
- Includes supplemental enrichment activities in art, the performing arts and writing
- Based on reciprocal teaching methods, which have been shown to increase comprehension
- Discussion-and question-based approach allows all children to participate, regardless of their personal experience with animals; live animals are not included.
- Uses questions and discussions about pre-selected books to help children develop empathy, compassion and understanding about animals and their relationship with people.